Monday, May 21, 2018

Monday's Music Moves Me - Songs About Remembering or Forgetting

 

There are several songs I like that are about Remembering or Forgetting. I couldn't pick just one, so here they are:

Revelation by The Yellow Jackets. Whitney Houston has a live version of this song as well, but the video is blurry and the sound quality isn't that great.


These songs, I believe, are about Marilyn Monroe. Elton John's Candle in the Wind you already know, but the other is by a French Canadian singer, Roch Voisine. This song is in English, but was a hit in France back in the day. I love this song! It's called On the Outside. He's easy on the eyes, too. ;o)



My dad used to love this song by Doris Day and used to sing it while playing his ukulele when I was a kid. Que Sera Sera.


Another one by Roch Voisine - Souviens-Toi (de moi) - "Remember Me"
Unfortunately, this one is not in English. It's about a guy who is thinking about his summer love and asks her to remember him. It's such a beautiful song!

I was trying to find an English translation online, but there isn't one and I don't have time to do it, but I'll translate the first few lines for you.

L'été s'est envolé  (The summer flew away)
Le temps tourne à l'orage (The weather turned to storm)
Mon bel oiseau bleu m'a laissé (My beautiful blue bird left me)
Le cœur dans les nuages (The heart in the clouds)
Un an sans toi (A year without you)
Devant moi (Before me)
Un an et tu vas m'oublier (A year and you're going to forget me)
Mettre un autre à ma place (Put another in my place)
Mon bel oiseau bleu a pleuré (My beautiful blue bird cried)
Sur mon château de sable (On my sand castle)
Où que tu sois (Wherever you are)
Souviens-toi (Remember)
De moi là-bas (me over there)
Oui souviens-toi (Yes, remember)
This clip has the French lyrics which are sort of distracting, but if you took French in school, you might be able to understand what you read here.

This song was one of my dad's favorite songs that makes me cry every time I hear it. It's about a boy who lost his daddy. My dad's mom died when he was 8, so when I think about that and listen to this song, it chokes me up. It's by a Hawaiian band sung in English. God Bless my Daddy/Mom by Hui O'hana.



Now get up and dance to one of my favorite songs, September by Earth, Wind, & Fire! Come on! You know you want to!



This is a Blog Hop!
Visit the blogs below for more Monday's Music Moves Me posts. If you
would like to join us, go to Curious as a Cathy's web site:
http://curiousasacathy.com/2018/05/cathy/







6 comments:

  1. Great set! I'm glad you used the Yellowjackets version of "Revelation." I don't think I would have enjoyed Whitney's anywhere near as much, even if the sound quality was good. The one by the Hawai'ian band was quite lovely, and what can I say, EW&F is always a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your style! Doris Day was my mama's favorite song (she loved Doris Day period though), and I loved how you wound it all up. Great pickin's. Thanks for joinin' us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberly,

    "Candle in the Wind" is a good one. It always makes me sad to hear it because like Marilyn Monroe there have been many celebrities to pass too soon from this life. I enjoyed the introduction of the vocals Roch Voisine and song. I remember when I was little, my best friend and I would sing "Que, Sera, Sera" what seemed like all the time. Doris Day has/had such a pretty voice. I wonder if she does much singing at 96? You closed with an excellent song by a classic band. "Do You Remember" Earth, Wind, and Fire! Thanks for sharing the dance floor with me today, my friend. Have a great evening! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gramma used to sing Que Sera Sera when she was very depressed. Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you included some new to me songs. It's always refreshing to learn and listen to something different. And you are right - the french dude is easy on the eyes!

    ~Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Doris Day is still going strong at age 96. Can you imagine? My mother in law (who is 90) loves Que Sera Sera, and it is so true. Elton John and Candle in the Wind is another fave- I featured the Princess Diana version on my post. The other songs were new to me, which is good.

    ReplyDelete