Friday, May 5, 2017

Celebrate The Small Things - May 5, 2017



Since I'm very late typing this up, I'll try to keep it brief.

This week my husband and I are celebrating our 16 year wedding anniversary. Yay! Where did the time go?

My youngest son went back to doing martial arts after over a year of resting a broken toe. All of his instructors were happy to see him back. (Kyokushin Karate, Judo, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu)

Our city is finally fixing the streetlights in our neighborhood after years of the residents (including me) complaining. The lights used to be off for weeks at a time while houses were being burglarized. We would call the city and they would say it's the electric company's responsibility so we would call the electric company and they would say the lights belong to the city. It went on like this for years. When someone would complain, the lights would go on for a few days or even just a few hours, then go out again. People complained on the electric company's Facebook and one of the residents who knows the mayor complained to him.  Whatever it was that got them to take action, I'm grateful for because we will finally get good lighting around here.

I found a bunch of good books at the library this week including one for my son which is a huge Big Nate book that is like an anthology. I hadn't known about it until I happened to walk by and see it on the display shelf. Jeff Kinney (author of The Diary of a Wimpy Kid) interviews the author, Lincoln Peirce in it. I want to read this myself because Jeff Kinney was a fan of Lincoln Peirce's work and reached out to him for advice on doing his own comics. Kinney became successful with Diary of a Wimpy Kid and helped Peirce gain popularity with his Big Nate comics. Big Nate was published and went on to sell over 15 million books! It's so inspiring! (I had to re-edit this because my facts were wrong, previously.)

What are you celebrating?
Check out the blogs below for your reading pleasure and please visit our hosts' blogs:
Lexa Cain: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/
L.G. Keltner http://lgkeltner.blogspot.co.uk/
Tonja Drecker http://tonjadrecker.blogspot.com/
If you would like to join our blog hop, visit Lexa Cain's blog for info.
1.

Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell8.Constantine
9.My Miracle Life10.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams
11.Lara Lacombe12.TF Walsh
13.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures14.Suzanne Furness
15.Elizabeth Seckman16.Avalon
17.My Baffling Brain18.Planet Kimberly
19.Shah Wharton20.Victorian Scribbles
21.Tanya Miranda22.Ann - A Friend of Jesus 2013
23.Special Teaching At Pempi's Palace24.Square Pegs
25.Patricia's Place26.Anne Higa
27.My Antimatter Life28.Bouquet of Books
29.Lightravellerkate30.Curious As A Cathy
31.Glennie's Random Ramblings32.In My Own Words
33.Tamara Narayan, Author34.My Creatively Random Life
35.Yvonne Ventresca36.On Becoming a Writer
37.Decadent Kane38.Stacy Uncorked
39.Sharon Himsl--Shells, Tales & Sails40.Cloud Nine Girl
41.Our Simple Life

4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! I'm glad your son is better and can go back to martial arts. Yay for library books! Boo for rotten gov't and utilities not protecting a neighborhood with high burglary rate. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary! And great news about the streetlights. Fingers crossed they stay on this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor street lighting does lead to "no-go" areas so I'm glad you have yours finally fixed. They've recently changed the lighting here (a village in the middle of England) to LED and it is amazing how much brighter but softer it is - almost like patches of daylight amidst the nighttime!!
    Glad to be "Celebrating" with you :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're finally fixing the street light, eh?! I just hate going on long trips and seeing the whole countryside at night without light. This is definitely something to celebrate. theglobaldig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete