Thursday, April 13, 2017

Celebrate The Small Things - April 14, 2017

 

This week was a little odd. There was an escaped convict hiding out in one of the schools nearby which is the school my cousin's son goes to. My kids' school was also locked down. The kids had to stay under their desks for 2 hours! I never had to do that as a kid. That's sad. The younger grades missed their lunch hour so they had to eat the food from their emergency kits. Some kids had to use "emergency buckets" to urinate because they weren't allowed to go to the bathroom. I heard the helicopters circling overhead for hours. Luckily no one was hurt and the convict was caught. 

Last night as I was driving home, the car in front of me was swerving (probably texting) in bumper-to-bumper traffic. He decided to change lanes without signaling which caused a motorcyclist to slam into him. I was so mad and cussing up a storm. I took down his license plate number in case he tried to take off, but he pulled over. Thankfully, the motorcyclist was not killed. He was able to walk his bike across all 5 lanes with all the cars stopping for him. I watched to make sure the car followed him, but surprisingly there was a Sheriff's car parked on the side of the freeway. What are the odds of that! That probably was incentive for the guy in the car not to take off. I'm counting my blessings and glad I wasn't the one to change lanes in front of the motorcyclist. I'm trying to give the driver the benefit of the doubt thinking that maybe he didn't see the motorcyclist coming. However, with all that swerving, he was most likely texting. He could've also been drunk or falling asleep which are practically the same. At least traffic was so bad that everyone was moving slowly. Otherwise the outcome might have been worse.

I met the animator of Frolo and Ursula of the Disney movies and she gave me some good tips on finding colors for my graphic novel. That was pretty cool. She used to work with my husband, so I knew about her work before I met her. I think I did a good job of not geeking out when I met her. I also met a traditional Disney animator who worked on Fox and the Hound back in the day. You don't meet that kind of talent every day.

I was frustrated with the drawings I was doing for my graphic novel this week. I showed them to my son and his friends at school to get their opinion since they are the age of my target audience/readership. Kids are brutally honest, so I got some good feedback. I'm still worried about the style of the GN but I've done more research this week and learned a lot so I'm making progress.

What are you celebrating?
Check out the blogs below for your reading pleasure and please visit our hosts' blogs:
Lexa Cain: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/
L.G. Keltner http://lgkeltner.blogspot.co.uk/
Tonja Drecker http://tonjadrecker.blogspot.com/
If you would like to join our blog hop, visit Lexa Cain's blog for info.

1.

Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell8.Constantine
9.My Miracle Life10.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams
11.Lara Lacombe12.TF Walsh
13.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures14.Suzanne Furness
15.Elizabeth Seckman16.Avalon
17.My Baffling Brain18.Planet Kimberly
19.Shah Wharton20.Victorian Scribbles
21.Tanya Miranda22.Ann - A Friend of Jesus 2013
23.Special Teaching At Pempi's Palace24.Square Pegs
25.Patricia's Place26.Anne Higa
27.My Antimatter Life28.Bouquet of Books
29.Lightravellerkate30.Curious As A Cathy
31.Glennie's Random Ramblings32.In My Own Words
33.Tamara Narayan, Author34.My Creatively Random Life
35.Yvonne Ventresca36.Two Book Minimum
37.On Becoming a Writer38.Decadent Kane
39.Stacy Uncorked40.Sharon Himsl--Shells, Tales & Sails
41.Cloud Nine Girl

5 comments:

  1. That's awful about the convict and the kids having to urinate in buckets. Poor things. You've been doing a lot of work on your GN and getting advice and feedback is awesome! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. School lockdown is frightening. Drivers who text should just have the license taken away. Keep up the work on the GN. It'll be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really scary Kimberly. Highway traffic can be so awful. I have a few of my own terrible stories and I don't think they think of the person inside the car as someone's mother or sister or friend. I am happy you are okay. I am celebrating my children and small accomplished steps to my goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the one thing they do not cover in the news about kids sheltering in place. How do they go to the bathroom? Now I know. That was probably more traumatic for them than hearing something vague about a bad guy in the area. News gets forgotten, but taunting over bathroom misfortunes last the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes about the escaped convict, but how cool with the animators! Talk about neat and unique experiences!

    ReplyDelete