Friday, June 3, 2016

Celebrate The Small Things - June 3, 2016




 

This week flew by. I barely realized that it was Friday.

The other day I received the promo cards for a paranormal art show that I'm a part of called Art of Darkness. I was pleasantly surprised to find my painting on the card and I got the biggest spot! It's the picture on the left. I called it Alien Abduction. The show will be at the Banfill-Locke Center for the Arts in Fridley, Minnesota from July 30-August 27, 2016.



 

I also drew/designed a tattoo for my cousin who is from Hawaii. I like the first one, but her husband wanted the Hawaiian flag in the background. I thought it was too busy with the flag, but they loved it (minus the pole). She just wants the scanned version, so I guess I'll give the original one on the left to my mom who is also from Hawaii. It's a win-win situation! The tattoo artist is just going to use it as a guide so I didn't make the one with the flag as nice. He's going to make it look nice in his own style.
 

My kids are off for summer vacation now, so we watched Spirited Away together and I took them to the drawing workshop I go to. They loved the movie, hated the workshop. I never thought our kids would hate drawing since my husband and I are both artists. They hate writing, too. I must be doing something wrong. They are lukewarm when it comes to reading chapter books, but they enjoy comic books if it's the right one. I'll take that...I guess.

I just discovered interviews of Tony Sandoval on YouTube which answered questions I had about his writing and his life. I've been working on my comic book stories and hitting roadblocks (as usual). He doesn't seem to outline his stories beforehand and he likes to have the reader come up with his/her conclusion to parts of his stories. He wants the reader to be "interactive" with the story. That's what he calls it. I think that's what makes people think about his stories long after they have finished reading them. They stay with you. I think that's a pretty interesting trick. The critics end up calling his work "surreal" and he wins awards. Hahaha.
 
What are you celebrating?
Check out the blogs below for your reading pleasure and please visit our hosts' blogs:
Lexa Cain: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/
L.G. Keltner http://lgkeltner.blogspot.co.uk/
Tonja Drecker http://tonjadrecker.blogspot.com/
If you would like to join our blog hop, visit Lexa Cain's blog for info.

1.Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.My Inner Geek8.Eclectic Alli
9.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell10.Constantine
11.My Miracle Life12.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams
13.Shells Tales and Sails14.Lara Lacombe
15.TF Walsh16.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures
17.About myself, by myself18.Suzanne Furness
19.Elizabeth Seckman20.Avalon
21.Cherdo on the Flipside22.My Baffling Brain
23.Planet Kimberly24.Shah Wharton
25.Mere Joyce26.Victorian Scribbles
27.Tanya Miranda28.God, Entertainment, & Annoying Things
29.Ann - A Friend of Jesus 201330.Special Teaching At Pempi's Palace
31.Square Pegs32.Patricia's Place
33.Yvonne Van Dalen34.Anne Higa
35.My Antimatter Life36.Bouquet of Books
37.Lightravellerkate38.Curious As A Cathy
39.Julie Flanders40.As the Fates Would Have It
41.Project Why42.Crazy Old Lady
43.In My Own Words44.Allison Bruning


5 comments:

  1. Congrats on having your pic so prominently displayed! It's lovely, though I don't know which alien is abducting which. LOL! Sometimes kids go their own way or talent skips a generation. Maybe you'll have grandkids who paint like Rembrandt! I love the Hawaii flower and good luck with the art show. Have a lovely weekend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on scoring such a prominent spot on the promo card--your painting looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good week. I love your drawing, Kimberly>

    Enjoy your summer with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your artwork being chosen for the card! My kids have two more days of school left. They can't wait for vacation. It's surprising that your kids don't like drawing, but maybe they'll be interested in a different type of art at some point. Good luck with your summer art projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I both read a ton, but our kids are addicted to screen-time, either iPad mini or TV. It does make me sad, but it's my own fault for letting them get those devices for Christmas. Time to institute the two-hour limit rule! (Uh, yeah. Right.)

    ReplyDelete