Friday, May 13, 2016

Celebrate The Small Things - Friday the 13th, 2016

 

We had a great time at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter last weekend. Although the forecast called for 60% chance of rain, it didn't rain except for a few drops on the way out of the park. Typical California forecast. Sometimes it's best to just go outside and predict the weather yourself. But just because there are dark clouds in the sky doesn't mean it's going to rain here.

It was hot inside the castle where the ride was. My friend told me that the ride is exactly the same as the one in Florida, but people here seem to get sick on it. The engineers are trying to figure out why. I had forgotten all that until I started to feel nauseous in the middle of the ride. I was taking deep breaths trying to shake the feeling. The heat in there made it worse, plus I was wearing 2 shirts and a warm jacket. The ride empties out in a gift shop, but I just had to get outside and breathe in the cool air. My son said, "You're sweating." I said, "I know. I have to get out of here." They wanted to see the gift shop, but I couldn't take it. We went back there later and they did have some interesting stuff for sale.

It took about a half hour to feel better, but I rode the Hippogriff ride right after that anyway. That ride was so short, but our kids loved it. They don't like scary roller coasters, so this ride was just right for them. I said, "Oh, was that it?" My husband said, "Blink, and it's over." Haha. It was perfect for the kids, though. They wanted to ride it again.

We rode the one in the castle again later in the day. I tried to stop myself from getting motion sickness. I took off my jacket and my long sleeved shirt. While in line, I took deep breaths and tried to move my head around thinking it would get used to the motion and I wouldn't get sick. Haha! I don't know if anyone else has tried this method. I made it up. The other people in line must've wondered if anything was wrong with me. It may be psychological, but I don't think I felt as sick as I did the first time.

We ate lunch at the Three Broomsticks. It was so cool! 

I thought we were going to be in HP World for a couple of hours and then see the rest of the park, but we ended up spending almost the whole day there. We rode the tram and The Simpsons ride then came right back to HP World. The kids got interactive wands which they used to make things move and light up in the shop windows in Hogsmeade. It took a few tries to get it to work which is sort of like how it would be if you were trying out a real spell. I tried it a couple of times. It wasn't too easy where it was boring. When you get it to work, you're so proud of yourself. Brilliant marketing idea. 

When you have a hard time, someone seems to just show up to help you (as if they just apparated there, haha) like this guy with my son:
 

This Dumbledore was a cosplayer who didn't work at the park, but people lined up to take pictures with him. Our kids got one with him before the park employee (on the left) told him to move along.
 
The dark clouds made it feel more authentic:

As far as getting things accomplished, I made copies of my picture book dummy and showed them to a few kids and adults for feedback. They smiled and laughed in the right spots. Whew! And it wasn't confusing. A couple of people felt like it needed more text, so I added that. I just need to add a few touches to some of the drawings, then it will be ready to show to agents. I'm very excited and relieved to be able to get it out there. I still have the daunting task of looking for an agent, meeting their requirements, writing query letters, etc. Writers know the drill.

I also sent out some story ideas (12 in all) for a graphic novel/comic book to a bunch of my friends to get feedback on what people like. So far, it has been good. I got some good suggestions and insights. Now I have to pick one, work on the story, and design the characters before I can start on the panels. I could get more done if I were an alien who never had to sleep. *sigh*

What are you celebrating?
Check out the blogs below for your reading pleasure and please visit our hosts' blogs:
Lexa Cain: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/
L.G. Keltner http://lgkeltner.blogspot.co.uk/
Tonja Drecker http://tonjadrecker.blogspot.com/
If you would like to join our blog hop, visit Lexa Cain's blog for info.

1.Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.My Inner Geek8.Eclectic Alli
9.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell10.Constantine
11.My Miracle Life12.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams
13.My Creatively Random Life14.Shells Tales and Sails
15.Lara Lacombe16.TF Walsh
17.Caring for my Veteran18.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures
19.About myself, by myself20.Suzanne Furness
21.Elizabeth Seckman22.Avalon
23.Cherdo on the Flipside24.My Baffling Brain
25.Planet Kimberly26.Shah Wharton
27.Mere Joyce28.Victorian Scribbles
29.Tanya Miranda30.God, Entertainment, & Annoying Things
31.Ann - A Friend of Jesus 201332.Special Teaching At Pempi's Palace
33.Square Pegs34.Patricia's Place
35.Yvonne Van Dalen36.Anne Higa
37.My Antimatter Life38.Bouquet of Books
39.Lightravellerkate40.Curious As A Cathy
41.Julie Flanders42.As the Fates Would Have It
43.Project Why44.Crazy Old Lady
45.In My Own Words

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it didn't rain, but the motion sickness thing is weird, huh. Especially if a number of people are experiencing that. Heat really bugs me, so maybe they need to enclose it and buy heavy duty air-conditioners. I'm glad your kids had a good time. Thanks for sharing the great pics, and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like tons of fun! The pictures are great (thanks for sharing). Now, I'll be dreaming of visiting there myself.

    ReplyDelete