Friday, April 1, 2016

Celebrate The Small Things - April 1

 
I apologize for not participating in the blog hop since December. The past few months have not been good. My aunt was really sick in December and took a turn for the worse. She passed away on Jan. 2. One of my best friend's mom suddenly stopped communicating on New Year's Eve. She went to the hospital and passed away two weeks later. It was a double whammy for my friend because on Christmas Eve, her uncle had a stroke and passed away around New Year's Day. My husband and I were mopey in Jan. and Feb., then we heard that his old mentor/friend's wife passed away from cancer at age 40. We have been to 3 funerals in 3 months! Three of our friends have also lost loved ones in the past few months. What's going on?!

My son sprained his ankle last week. I went to the nurse's office in the morning to have him excused from P.E. because the coach wouldn't accept a note from a parent. The nurse forgot to notify the coach and he made my son run the mile even though it was obvious my son was limping.

BUT looking on the bright side, I finished 3 paintings to submit to a paranormal art show in Minnesota. I also submitted my unpublished middle grade book to a contest. They are small accomplishments but at least I put them out there to be reviewed instead of them sitting here in my home not being looked at.

Also, I got to go to Wondercon with my husband and our kids last weekend. I was so excited to see Raina Telgemeier at her panel. She is the author/artist of the comic books Smile, Drama, Sisters, and The Babysitter's Club. I didn't know that she adapted Ann Martin's books into The Babysitter's Club comic books. It's such a good idea. Since then, I've been looking for public domain books that I can adapt into comic book form. I need something that will go with my drawing style. Something pre-teen or teen. I want to do a comic with romance and humor and maybe a little bit of supernatural elements in it. Anyway, Raina gave everyone in the audience a sneak preview of her new comic book coming out called Ghost. It's about a girl and her little sister who has Cystic Fibrosis. I think "ghost" is used figuratively and literally in this book.

At Wondercon on Sunday, I happened to stumble upon Sergio Aragonés' booth. I was so excited because I love his drawings! I had missed a few aisles on Sat. and we weren't going to go on Sun. at all. His booth was in one of the last two aisles I was going to go through. I bought a few of his Groo comic books and got to ask him a bunch of questions. He signed all of them and said, "Be careful when you read these. They're very addictive." Hahaha! Confidence in your own work is a good selling tool.

I have been thinking about doing a picture book adaptation of The Princess and The Goblin. Once I find time, I want to do a few test drawings and paintings of it to see if I really want to do it. I've recently discovered Pamela Zagarenski and would love to do the book in that sort of style.

Before the craze is over, I would like to create drawings for a coloring book. So much to do! So many ideas I want to explore! I'll just celebrate the ideas for now.

What are you celebrating?
 
Check out the blogs below for your reading pleasure and please visit our hosts' blogs:
Lexa Cain: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/
L.G. Keltner http://lgkeltner.blogspot.co.uk/
Tonja Drecker http://tonjadrecker.blogspot.com/
If you would like to join our blog hop, visit Lexa Cain's blog for info. 

1.Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.My Inner Geek8.Eclectic Alli
9.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell10.Constantine
11.My Miracle Life12.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams
13.My Creatively Random Life14.Shells Tales and Sails
15.Lara Lacombe16.TF Walsh
17.Caring for my Veteran18.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures
19.About myself, by myself20.Suzanne Furness
21.Elizabeth Seckman22.Avalon
23.Cherdo on the Flipside24.My Baffling Brain
25.Planet Kimberly26.Shah Wharton
27.Mere Joyce28.Victorian Scribbles
29.Tanya Miranda30.God, Entertainment, & Annoying Things
31.Ann - A Friend of Jesus 201332.Special Teaching At Pempi's Palace
33.Square Pegs34.Patricia's Place
35.Yvonne Van Dalen36.Anne Higa
37.My Antimatter Life38.Into the Imagination Vortex
39.Bouquet of Books40.Lightravellerkate
41.Curious As A Cathy42.Julie Flanders
43.As the Fates Would Have It44.Project Why

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about all the deaths in your family and friends' families. 3 funerals is no way to start 2016. Sorry also about your son. I sure hope that the run of bad luck is over and you're productive in your art and your writing! Good luck with the contest, and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have you back! So sorry about your losses - that was quite a bit and totally understandable that you had to worry about other things. Glad to see things are on the upswing. The Wondercon sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about all the people you've lost.

    Hope the comic adaption goes well. Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your losses. How devastating for you. And I hope your son's ankle heals soon. Sounds like you had a great time at Wondercon. Good luck with your painting and story submissions. Small or big, all accomplishments are worth celebrating. Have fun with all your new ideas!

    ReplyDelete