Friday, November 13, 2015

Celebrate The Small Things - November 13

 

Happy Friday the 13th!

 The things I'm celebrating this week are:

1. Accordion music:

And the correct way to spell it in English! Haha! As I typed this, my autocorrect informed me that I was spelling it wrong and I realized that I was using the French spelling. I've studied French for around 20 years, so it's not that unusual.

To back up a bit, I was going to tell you about how, today, I wanted to listen to accordion music on Pandora while I wrote and drew. There are little to no lyrics to distract my mind while I write and I was hoping it would take me to a creative place. When I went to Pandora, I typed in "accordeon" which only gave me two listings. So, all morning I've been listening to Accordeon Espagnol which is great, don't get me wrong, but I was thinking, geez, I thought there would be more listings.

I just typed in the English spelling "accordion" and up popped a slew of listings! The universe just dropped some knowledge on me! That's something to celebrate!

2. Great ideas:

The accordion music helped! I had a great idea for a children's book. As I was writing it down, another one came to me. And another. I haven't thought up endings for the first two, but I did for the third one.

I needed another story to illustrate as soon as I finish my current one. This just might be the one. I was thinking about re-adapting old forgotten children's stories to write and illustrate, but I actually have a lot of my own in my arsenal to bring to the world.

3. My post for Illustration Friday: Whimsical:

 

4. Things I learned, discovered, or re-discovered:

Tech-sniffing dogs - There are cadaver dogs, drug dogs, and dogs that can sniff out tech stuff like hidden cell phones, laptops, external hard drives, flash drives, and SD cards. They are amazing! One was used to sniff out Jared's (the Subway spokesman) hidden evidence and send him to prison. 

Camp X - The secret training camp used to train super-spies during WW2. I watched this documentary on Netflix for research on my current YA novel. Loved it.

Matilda by Roald Dahl - My youngest son said, "Mom, you HAVE to read Matilda!" His teacher was reading it to the class. He bugged me to read it for days. I read it and have to admit, loved it. I love the illustrations for it by Quentin Blake, too. The drawings look so simple, but I tried copying them. Not so simple.

Lynda Barry - Author of One Hundred Demons. I watched her YouTube videos. She's a little kooky (as if I'm not), but I like her. She inspires people to be creative. I'm waiting for her graphic novels to come in at the library. Can't wait to read them.

Synethesia - I don't want to bore you with the technical definition, but it's basically when you perceive two things from one of your senses. Vision can have a taste, sounds can have shapes or colors, numbers or words can be perceived as colored, etc. One of my characters I'm developing for a story is able to see shapes and colors from sounds. It's such an intriguing ability. I might have a pinprick of this ability because when I was younger, the taste of cilantro used to taste like the smell of B.O.  I've since gotten over this and am able to eat cilantro now.

And I just learned this yesterday - you can slice oranges, peel and all, boil them and drink the water. A lot of the vitamin C is in the peel, so when you boil it, it goes into the water. It can prevent colds - or give me cold sores. I'll have to put it to the test.

So, that's what I'm celebrating this week.


What are you celebrating?

Check out the blogs below for your reading pleasure and please visit our hosts' blogs:
Lexa Cain: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/
L.G. Keltner http://lgkeltner.blogspot.co.uk/
Tonja Drecker http://tonjadrecker.blogspot.com/

If you would like to join our blog hop, visit Lexa Cain's blog for info. 

1.Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.My Inner Geek8.Eclectic Alli
9.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell10.Constantine
11.My Miracle Life12.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams
13.My Creatively Random Life14.Shells Tales and Sails
15.Lara Lacombe16.TF Walsh
17.Caring for my Veteran18.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures
19.About myself, by myself20.Suzanne Furness
21.Elizabeth Seckman22.Avalon
23.Cherdo on the Flipside24.Writing By Marilyn
25.My Baffling Brain26.Planet Kimberly
27.Shah Wharton28.Mere Joyce
29.Victorian Scribbles30.Dandilyonfluff
31.Tanya Miranda32.God, Entertainment, & Annoying Things
33.Ann - A Friend of Jesus 201334.Special Teaching At Pempi's Palace
35.Square Pegs36.The Beveled Edge
37.Patricia's Place38.Desiree Yearning
39.Yvonne Van Dalen40.Anne Higa
41.My Antimatter Life42.Into the Imagination Vortex
43.Peace, Love & Books44.Bouquet of Books
45.Entertaining Interests46.Lightravellerkate
47.Curious As A Cathy 

4 comments:

  1. Music makes things better. And that's a pretty good list of discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like accordion music. My uncle used to play it when he was younger. We don't live near him, so I haven't heard him play in a long time. Congrats on thinking up all those new story ideas! Your whimsical illustration is very cute! I had no idea there was such a thing as a tech-sniffing dog. It's amazing what they can train them to do. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your little juggling girl int eh harem pants! You're so talented! I work in resorts as a singer for Europeans for a long time and it's amazing how they love accordion music, especially Germans. It's very cheerful, if a bit march-y. Congrats on all the things you learned and discovered, and have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the accordion music was an inspiration. I enjoy the accordion, not always but at the right time. And love all those research tidbits. It's fun to learn those sort of facts.

    ReplyDelete