Friday, June 12, 2015

Celebrate The Small Things - June 12, 2015

 

This week I'm celebrating my birthday among other things. I don't make a big deal out of my birthday. As long as I have something good to eat and people are cordial to me, I'm happy. I had some good gluten-free food with family and still had time to go home to work on the sketchbooks I'm trying to make. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish at least one it its entirely this weekend and not just finish stages.

I am also celebrating a good book I just finished reading called Invisible Ink by Brian McDonald. What a great book! It clarified things I had learned before about writing and taught me new things. It made me think about movies and books differently and even my own books that I'm writing. It is the best book on writing that I've read so far. I'm grateful to have found this book as well as Writing Picture Books by Ann Whitford Paul. Since I write novels and picture books, both of these books were very helpful to me.

This is the second week that my kids are home with me all day for summer break. I let them relax the first week, but this week I had them practice their math, typing, and reading. There was a lot of whining, complaining, and tears, so I'm celebrating getting through it without giving in and letting them just sit around playing video games.

What are you celebrating?

If you'd like to join the Celebrate The Small Things blog hop, visit our talented host, Lexa @ Lexa Cain for more information.  And don't forget to check out her co-hosts:  LG Keltner @ Writing Off the Edge, and Katie @ TheCyborgMom
 
Visit participating blogs here:


1.Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.My Inner Geek8.Eclectic Alli
9.Queendsheena10.Kim Graff
11.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell12.Constantine
13.Viklit14.My Miracle Life
15.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams16.My Creatively Random Life
17.Jeff Chapman's Writing18.Shells Tales and Sails
19.Lara Lacombe20.TF Walsh
21.Caring for my Veteran22.dcrelief
23.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures24.The Unwavering Part of Me
25.About myself, by myself26.Suzanne Furness
27.My Write Spot28.Elizabeth Seckman
29.Avalon30.Cherdo on the Flipside
31.Writing By Marilyn32.My Baffling Brain
33.Planet Kimberly34.Shah Wharton
35.Mere Joyce36.Just Get It Written
37.Tyrean's Writing Spot38.Kathleen S. Allen
39.Black Coffee and Cigarettes40.Linda Kay
41.Victorian Scribbles42.Alexia Chamberlynn
43.Dandilyonfluff44.Curious as a Cathy
45.Tanya Miranda46.Teresa Morse
47.Catherine Ensley48.God, Entertainment, & Annoying Things
49.Ann - A Friend of Jesus 201350.Precious Monsters
51.Carole Anne Carr52.Special Teaching At Pempi's Palace
53.Square Pegs54.Sandy's Space
55.The Beveled Edge56.Lisa Manifold
57.Lori Carlson

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! KI'm glad you had fun and still managed to work o things you like doing. Yay for books that help you out. I don't have any books on writing, but I read a lot of articles. My mom had a different technique for summer - Day camp! She'd pack me off to a gymnastics, or music, or cheerleading camp. Once she sent me to a gardening camp though. That did NOT work out well. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look up that book you mentioned. Happy birthday, and good luck with the kids.

    God, Entertainment, & Annoying Things

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! Enjoy your summer with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! And good for you for not giving in and making the kiddos do some work. I should try that too. Especially since there are great websites for them to use to practice their math. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete