Friday, May 22, 2015

Celebrate The Small Things - May 22, 2015


 

It was my mom's birthday yesterday, so I decided to paint her a birthday card. I've been wanting to paint cards for my family and friends for a while, but never got around to doing it until now. She has been hinting around that she wants me to paint flowers for her, so I decided to use the Chinese brush painting kit that her brother and his wife gave me. When I was in college, there were free Chinese brush painting classes offered nearby. I used to go there very Saturday to take lessons. Finding free classes these days are hard to come by, so I'm glad I had the opportunity back then and took it. It came in handy painting these flowers, but I still need lots of practice. I hardly ever paint or draw flowers, so it was a bit foreign to me. I have two more birthdays coming up in the next couple of months to make cards for, so I should be getting more practice in soon. Ideally, I would like to make cards for every aunt, uncle, and first cousin in my family, but I have a huge family, so I might have to scale back some. In total, I think we have over 200 people in the family. I can't paint one for every person or else I'd never get any work done.

 

I learned that other people do storyboards before they do the finished drawings/paintings for their picture books so they can see how the pages look as a whole. I guess I'm not very smart because I did not do this. I don't know why I didn't think to do a storyboard because I have had a storyboarding class before. So, this week I worked on my storyboard and I saw the usefulness in it.

I realized that I did too many finished drawings already. I have to condense some drawings, throw some out, and redo others. I started drawing directly on the template and quickly realized that I should have cut the rectangles out and drawn on those so I could move pages around. Trial and error sucks. I was drawing, erasing, and re-drawing before I figured this out. **sigh**

Just drawing the rectangles on a big piece of drawing paper was time consuming. Now I'm taking notes on my process so that I don't make the same mistakes next time.

If I had a printer that printed out big sheets of paper, I would've printed the template out, but my life isn't that easy. I normally draw small, but when it comes to drawing thumbnails, my drawings are too big. I was never able to draw small thumbnails, even in college. I take up a page for one drawing. lol Maybe I should print a template on an 8.5" x 11" paper and force myself to draw thumbnails on it. Agh! But for a 32 page picture book?! It just makes me cringe to think about it. Those drawings would have to be really small. Ah, maybe I'm just making my life hard.

This week, I found out about two books that are good for learning how to create picture books. One is called Writing Picture Books by Ann Whitford Paul. The other is called Writing With Pictures by Uri Shulevitz. Thankfully, both are accessible to me via my local libraries.

If it had rained this week, I would've celebrated that, but no. It was cloudy all week with no rain! Why?! Come on, rain! Just fall already!

What are you celebrating?

If you'd like to join the Celebrate The Small Things blog hop, visit our talented host, Lexa @ Lexa Cain for more information.  And don't forget to check out her co-hosts:  LG Keltner @ Writing Off the Edge, and Katie @ TheCyborgMom
 
Visit participating blogs here:

1.Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.My Inner Geek8.Eclectic Alli
9.Queendsheena10.Kim Graff
11.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell12.Constantine
13.Viklit14.My Miracle Life
15.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams16.My Creatively Random Life
17.Jeff Chapman's Writing18.Shells Tales and Sails
19.Lara Lacombe20.TF Walsh
21.Caring for my Veteran22.dcrelief
23.Patricia's Place24.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures
25.The Unwavering Part of Me26.About myself, by myself
27.Suzanne Furness28.My Write Spot
29.Elizabeth Seckman30.Avalon
31.Cherdo on the Flipside32.Writing By Marilyn
33.My Baffling Brain34.Planet Kimberly
35.Shah Wharton36.Mere Joyce
37.Just Get It Written38.Tyrean's Writing Spot
39.kathleea.tumblr.com40.Black Coffee and Cigarettes
41.Stephen tremp42.Linda Kay
43.Victorian Scribbles44.Alexia Chamberlynn
45.Dandilyonfluff46.Curious as a Cathy
47.Tanya Miranda48.Teresa Morse
49.Catherine Ensley50.God, Entertainment, & Annoying Things
51.Ann - A Friend of Jesus 201352.These Are My Monkeys
53.Precious Monsters54.Its a Snap
55.Carole Anne Carr56.Special Teaching At Pempi's Palace
57.Square Pegs58.Sandy's Space
59.The Beveled Edge

6 comments:

  1. You are such a talented artist. What a beautiful card. I knew nothing about Chinese brush painting. Sure your mom had a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with drawing in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you gave me an idea. I'll be traveling to Canada to our cottage soon. I think I want to pick up a craft to complete. I NEVER do crafts. It will be nice to get back to what I used to do back in the day.

    Precious Monsters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly, wow! I love your painting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 200 in your family? Holy cow - that's some big family! It's lovely that you painted a card for your mom's birthday, and great you remembered the technique! Good luck with the storyboards. It sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure it'll get easier over time. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure they will enjoy your books, Kimberley. I'm not finding time to update my blog, invalid husband etc. all a bit much, so will have to concentrate on updating my website and shop and writing the books! Hope to see you there from time to time :0)

    ReplyDelete