Friday, April 24, 2015

Celebrate The Small Things - April 24

 

I have a few small things to celebrate this week.  Small, not big. 

We went to the Star Wars Convention which only comes around once every 7 years according to what I hear. We didn't cosplay because we didn't have enough time to make costumes, but my husband made us all carry Master Replica-made light sabers which were expensive and very heavy to carry around. I got my light saber bicep workout in that day, that's for sure. We met up with an old friend who was at the convention and also a big Star Wars fan. He is a fellow artist and actually used to be our former animation teacher. He has filled up more sketchbooks than I'll ever be able to fill in this lifetime. Even though we have been at this convention center many times, he and his daughter showed us a nice place to eat that is steps away from the convention. Those are 3 celebrations in 1.

I completed 4 final drawings for my picture book this week. As I was drawing, I was thinking that my process for finishing this picture book was a long and tedious one. Probably a stupid way of going about it, too which is kind of depressing, but I was happy to finish these 4 drawings. I keep telling myself that it's okay because I can't think of a better way to go about doing this book. Other artists might be able to just draw directly on the paper, paint it, and be done with it. I don't know. For me, though, right now I just can't work that way. Maybe in the future I'll be able to get over this hurtle or handicap and just freely draw on the paper, paint it, and it will turn out beautiful. Agents will love it, publishers will love it, kids will love it, but for now I'm stuck in this snail paced hell. 

On a brighter note, I have discovered the artwork of Noah Z. Jones this week. I love his drawing style. It reminds me of the drawings in the Black Lagoon books for kids. I have been studying his style all week. One of his books is called Almost Naked Animals. Just the title alone sounds funny and interesting. Here is a sample of some of his drawings:
 

Sometimes I don't have time to wait for my computer to boot up to write a few lines of my stories, so I bought a binder to write them down in right away. I'm thinking that I can replace sheets of scenes that I want to switch out for better ones later. It's like using index cards. 
I found this pretty binder at Office Depot. In it, I also put a Trapper (remember those from school?) so that I can store blank pieces of copy paper for my picture book sketches. This last idea came about after I drew my picture book sketches in sketchbooks. It was fine until I needed to put the scenes together IN ORDER, but had to tear them out of different sketchbooks. I didn't draw them in order, so it's taking me longer to sort things out. Plus, I admit, I didn't want to tear them out of some sketchbooks because I wanted to keep my pretty sketchbooks in tact. Like I mentioned before, my process sucks. But, BAM! I'm gonna be organized next time because I've got my Trapper ready AND I bought a ream of copy paper. Yeah man!


And the last, if not least, celebration this week is the Totoro bag my husband bought me. See below. I carry my sketchbook and art materials around in a bag that is not my purse because all that won't fit in my purse. Plus, I can access my sketchbook and pens faster this way. My husband is starting to call me a bag lady because I have several bags for carrying my art stuff. I don't care if people think I'm a kid or a nerd for carrying bags like this. My t-shirts already say it all anyway. Some people even admire my bags.



What are you celebrating?  
If you'd like to join the Celebrate The Small Things blog hop, visit our beloved host, Lexa @ Lexa Cain for more information.  And don't forget to check out her wonderful co-hosts:  LG Keltner @ Writing Off the Edge, and Katie @ TheCyborgMom


Visit participating blogs here:


1.Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.My Inner Geek8.Eclectic Alli
9.Queendsheena10.Kim Graff
11.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell12.Constantine
13.Viklit14.My Miracle Life
15.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams16.My Creatively Random Life
17.Jeff Chapman's Writing18.Shells Tales and Sails
19.Lara Lacombe20.TF Walsh
21.Caring for my Veteran22.dcrelief
23.Patricia's Place24.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures
25.The Unwavering Part of Me26.About myself, by myself
27.Suzanne Furness28.My Write Spot
29.Elizabeth Seckman30.Avalon
31.Cherdo on the Flipside32.Writing By Marilyn
33.My Baffling Brain34.Planet Kimberly
35.Shah Wharton36.Mere Joyce
37.Just Get It Written38.Tyrean's Writing Spot
39.kathleea.tumblr.com40.Black Coffee and Cigarettes
41.Stephen tremp42.Linda Kay
43.Victorian Scribbles44.Alexia Chamberlynn
45.Dandilyonfluff46.Bames Live
47.The World According To Rhonda48.Curious as a Cathy
49.Tanya Miranda50.Teresa Morse
51.Catherine Ensley52.God, Entertainment, & Annoying Things
53.Ann - A Friend of Jesus 201354.These Are My Monkeys
55.Precious Monsters56.Its a Snap
57.Carole Anne Carr

2 comments:

  1. It's great you found someone whose art you like, and good luck working on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am obsessed with tote bags, so you don't have to explain yourself to me. I love those cute little Almost Naked Animals :) Good luck with your new trapper...I hope it keeps you more organized and makes things easier for you. Wonderful celebrations! My son would have loved that Star Wars convention!
    Katie @TheCyborgMom

    ReplyDelete