Friday, April 17, 2015

Celebrate The Small Things - April 17, 2015

 

This week, I had a great idea for a middle grade or young adult book while I was washing the dishes. I wrote it down and as I was writing, more and more ideas were coming to me. The ending has not come to me yet, but I have a lot to work with so far. I was so excited about this idea that I started telling my kids about it. At first, they kept their eyes on their electronic devices as I talked. When the story got spookier, they stopped what they were doing and gave me their full attention. Before I could finish, I was interrupted by something. The phone or the dog or my timer going off to remind me that I had to do something else. I don't remember. What I do remember is my son asking me if I was going to stop my current writing projects to write this new story. There was excitement in his voice. I told him that I was thinking of writing it after I'm done with the two books I'm working on. His eyes grew wide and he said, "Do it! Do it!" My younger son chimed in in agreement. It's a great feeling when my kids are enthusiastic about my ideas. That's cause for celebration!

I'm also slowly creeping along to finishing my last sketch for my picture book. I need to do 1 and 1/4 drawings before I commit to the final drawings and painting. It's such a slow process! I draw too slow. :o(  My method is probably inefficient, too. My husband, who draws fast, says I should've finished by now. My oldest son mimics him and says the same thing to me. So, I have these two hounding me about finishing this book. It's probably the fire under my butt that I need anyway. Since it's my first picture book, I'm trying to figure things out. I hope my future picture books don't take this long. Maybe one day I'll whip out a masterpiece in a flash. Ha!

Until then, here are two drawings I finished this week for my art blog:
 

 

So far, I am not regretting my decision to use more color in my work this year. It's rekindling my love for art which is cause for celebration as well.

What are you celebrating?  
If you'd like to join the Celebrate The Small Things blog hop, visit our talented host, Lexa @ Lexa Cain for more information.  And don't forget to check out her co-hosts:  LG Keltner @ Writing Off the Edge, and Katie @ TheCyborgMom
Visit participating blogs here:

1.Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.My Inner Geek8.Eclectic Alli
9.Queendsheena10.Kim Graff
11.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell12.Constantine
13.Viklit14.My Miracle Life
15.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams16.My Creatively Random Life
17.Jeff Chapman's Writing18.Shells Tales and Sails
19.Lara Lacombe20.TF Walsh
21.Caring for my Veteran22.dcrelief
23.Patricia's Place24.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures
25.The Unwavering Part of Me26.About myself, by myself
27.Suzanne Furness28.My Write Spot
29.Elizabeth Seckman30.Avalon
31.Cherdo on the Flipside32.Writing By Marilyn
33.My Baffling Brain34.Planet Kimberly
35.Shah Wharton36.Mere Joyce
37.Just Get It Written38.Tyrean's Writing Spot
39.kathleea.tumblr.com40.Black Coffee and Cigarettes
41.Stephen tremp42.Linda Kay
43.Victorian Scribbles44.Alexia Chamberlynn
45.Dandilyonfluff46.Bames Live
47.The World According To Rhonda48.Curious as a Cathy
49.Tanya Miranda50.Teresa Morse
51.Catherine Ensley52.God, Entertainment, & Annoying Things
53.Ann - A Friend of Jesus 201354.These Are My Monkeys
55.Precious Monsters56.Thrift Shop Commando
57.Its a Snap

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful drawings. You really are multi talented. That's why the 2 men in your life are lighting a fire under you. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always look forward to coming to your blog to see what new masterpieces you've come up with! Now, get started on that book while your muse is still dancing for you!
    Katie @TheCyborgMom

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful thing when everyone is excited about what you have going! Good luck finishing the picture book and hope you can get to that new project soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that your sons are excited by your story! That's how JK Rowling got started you know. I like the added color in your art for a change - although the second lady is kinda forbidding... Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's to great ideas and getting them on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you can get your kids to ignore their electronic devices and listen to you, that's a good sign.

    ReplyDelete