Friday, April 10, 2015

Celebrate The Small Things - April 10, 2015

 

I went to Wondercon in Anaheim over the weekend with my family and went to a few panels. One was a Color Theory panel. I learned color theory in college, but I wanted to know if they had anything new to share. I picked up a few tips even though they mainly talked about color theory for comic books using Photoshop.

Another panel I went to was Costume Drawing which I wanted to do for fun. I sat in the front so I could see, but the model stood on the very far right of the stage. Her whole bottom half was obstructed from view by a table from the angle I was in. :o(  Later, when she moved out from there, I was able to get these drawings:

 
It's only a page of drawings, but the whole thing wasn't a complete loss. The moderator gave us a few drawing tips and he did a demo. Alex Nino, the artist from The Art of Mulan book also drew a few drawings for us. That was a treat. I wasn't expecting anyone to demo anything. I ended up watching and listening more than drawing.

On Sunday, I went to a panel to hear children's book authors and illustrators talk about their craft and offer advice. A couple of them won Newberry and Caldicott awards. Also, my friend from college, Joe Cepeda was on the panel and I got to talk to him afterwards. It was nice catching up with him and finding out what some of our other classmates were doing. He is now the president of the Society of Illustrators in Los Angeles. Everyone on the panel was amazing and inspiring. Here is the description of the panel:

Whether you prefer to read or write children's books, come learn the inside scoop from award-winning and New York Times bestselling authors and artists Joe Cepeda (The Tortoise or the Hare), Jenni Holm (The Fourteenth Goldfish), Molly Idle (Flora and the Flamingo), Brian Won (Hurray for Hat), and Salina Yoon (Stormy Night). Moderated by Henry Herz (Monster Goose Nursery Rhymes). 

So, I am celebrating a weekend of learning and catching up with old friends. This coming weekend I hope to attend Yallwest, a festival of young adult books. I'm hoping to get into a few good panels there as well. It's in Santa Monica and will be very close to the beach. Maybe if it's hot enough we'll go to the beach as well.

What are you celebrating?  
 
If you'd like to join the Celebrate The Small Things blog hop, visit our wonderful host, Lexa @ Lexa Cain for more information.  And don't forget to check out her co-hosts:  LG Keltner @ Writing Off the Edge, and Katie @ TheCyborgMom
 
 
Visit participating blogs here:
 
1.Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.My Inner Geek8.Eclectic Alli
9.Queendsheena10.Kim Graff
11.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell12.Constantine
13.Viklit14.My Miracle Life
15.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams16.My Creatively Random Life
17.Jeff Chapman's Writing18.Shells Tales and Sails
19.Lara Lacombe20.TF Walsh
21.Caring for my Veteran22.dcrelief
23.Patricia's Place24.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures
25.The Unwavering Part of Me26.About myself, by myself
27.Suzanne Furness28.My Write Spot
29.Elizabeth Seckman30.Avalon
31.Cherdo on the Flipside32.Writing By Marilyn
33.My Baffling Brain34.Planet Kimberly
35.Shah Wharton36.Mere Joyce
37.Just Get It Written38.Tyrean's Writing Spot
39.kathleea.tumblr.com40.Black Coffee and Cigarettes
41.Stephen tremp42.Linda Kay
43.Victorian Scribbles44.Alexia Chamberlynn
45.Dandilyonfluff46.Bames Live
47.The World According To Rhonda48.Curious as a Cathy
49.Tanya Miranda50.Teresa Morse
51.Catherine Ensley52.God, Entertainment, & Annoying Things
53.Ann - A Friend of Jesus 201354.These Are My Monkeys
55.Precious Monsters56.Thrift Shop Commando
57.RAJAPOKER88.COM AGEN TEXAS POKER DOMINO ONLINE INDONESIA58.penyakit jantung
 
 The list is getting bigger every week!

3 comments:

  1. Learning something so interesting as color theory is a celebration in itself. Catching up with friends is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a great place to listen, learn and connect. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and if you go to YallWest, I hope you have a wonderful time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds pretty great. Enjoy this weekend.

    ReplyDelete