Friday, February 6, 2015

Celebrate the Small Things - Feb. 6, 2015

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UmlBG_h0RKE/UpvxxjY9ooI/AAAAAAAABhI/_v5o6aOynxo/s1600/Celebrate%2Bblog%2Bhop.jpg 


 
This week I am celebrating the fact that I drew and painted a page for my children's book. I might add things to it later. Above is a cropped version of the piece. I suspect I will want to redo some of the drawings by the time I get to the end.

After I finished this piece, my kids and I watched video's of author and artist Lincoln Peirce working on his Big Nate comic strips. My youngest son LOVES those Big Nate books. They really get him into reading. He sneaks them into bed sometimes to read them when he's supposed to be sleeping. He even listens to the audiobooks and walks around spouting lines from it. "The answer is: NOBODY CARES!" lol

I was really inspired by those Lincoln Peirce videos. It made me want to fill my sketchbooks with comic strip ideas instead of my cute characters or funny faces or pretty people. The problem is, it's hard to come up with funny things to draw. I admire people who can do that. Like political cartoonists. Those people are brilliant. 

I also like French comic artist, Kek. He writes and draws strips about the annoying things in life that everyone goes through. I used an Amazon gift certificate that I received for Christmas to buy his book. Since it's a foreign book it is expensive. I was happy to have the opportunity to buy it with the gift certificate and it arrived while I was sick. So while I was lying around in my misery, I read his book and had a lot of good laughs. I was also inspired by him. 

I don't draw comic strips, but I have always liked them. I drew a comic strip (a very lame one, mind you) when I was a young child. As a teen and an adult, I never drew them again. My drawing style is so different from that comic book style that it's not easy to just switch over. I have been working at a more cartoony style for years and I think I'm finally getting it. It's the style I'm using for my children's book.

After we watched the Lincoln Peirce videos, I told my sons, "You should carry a sketchbook around with you and draw out your ideas for comic strips. I have extra sketchbooks you can use." My younger son immediately went to his art easel and drew out a comic strip. Show off. 
My older son has a notebook in which he jots down his ideas for inventions or ideas for video games. I told him he should add ideas for funny comic strips. He said, "Why?" Those two are so different.


What are you celebrating? 
If you'd like to join the Celebrate The Small Things blog hop, visit our wonderful host, Lexa @ Lexa Cain for more information.  And don't forget to check out her co-hosts:  LG Keltner @ Writing Off the Edge, and Katie @ TheCyborgMom

1.Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.My Inner Geek8.Eclectic Alli
9.Queendsheena10.Kim Graff
11.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell12.Constantine
13.Viklit14.My Miracle Life
15.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams16.My Creatively Random Life
17.Jeff Chapman's Writing18.Shells Tales and Sails
19.Lara Lacombe20.TF Walsh
21.Caring for my Veteran22.dcrelief
23.Patricia's Place24.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures
25.The Unwavering Part of Me26.About myself, by myself
27.Suzanne Furness28.My Write Spot
29.Elizabeth Seckman30.Avalon
31.Cherdo on the Flipside32.The Adventures of a Children's Author
33.Writing By Marilyn34.My Baffling Brain
35.Child Of Expression36.Planet Kimberly
37.Shah Wharton38.dhdunne.blogspot.com
39.Mere Joyce40.Just Get It Written
41.Tyrean's Writing Spot42.kathleea.tumblr.com
43.Black Coffee and Cigarettes44.Stephen tremp
45.Linda Kay

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Kimberly! Gave me quite a laugh, "Those two are so different." I like the painting above. It's really cute and so typical of what a child would do. Who doesn't like milk? (Especially when the littliest is preoccupied?)
    I think it's wonderful you share and celebrate artistry and the love of research with your children.(smile)
    Have a very good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute picture! I can totally see that in a kids' book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I love the illustration - you are really talented! Thanks for sharing the artists who inspire you. Being inspired by others is so important. I think it gives us something to aim for. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your sketch is admirable and your style perfect for the children's market. I always wanted to draw as a kid, I even tried comics. It just wasn't my calling....so I write instead and that's been a good fit for me. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great picture. Good to meet you through the hop and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your drawing! The colors are happy :) I would imagine that in order to do comic strips, you not only have to be a good artist, but be a talented comedian...that's a lot of talent going on! Kudos to your son if he can pull it off. It's great that you encourage them that way.

    ReplyDelete