Friday, June 27, 2014

Celebrate The Small Things - June 27

This week I got my kids to help me around the house. Yay! 

I had to compromise, but it was worth it. I usually give them a math worksheet and 30 min. of reading daily since they are not in summer school. I told them they could forgo the homework since they were helping out.

They helped me with the laundry which was putting their own clothes away. I showed them how to do it, but they ended up shoving the clothes in the drawers causing me to have to take them all out and put them in neatly. And they left a mountain of undershirts all mixed together on top of the dresser. Nice.

Then I told them to wash and dry the dog. This time I did not help them because I wanted them to learn to do it on their own. They only interrupted me once which was pretty good. They couldn't figure out how to rinse the underside of the dog. That means they wanted me to do it. I told them to splash the water upward onto her belly or get the bucket and throw the water up there. They said that they did that, but the soap was still there. I said, "Well, keep at it," and left. No more coddling.

Usually they are drenched with water because the dog is too strong for them to maneuver in the bath tub. They were fairly dry when they were done which was impressive. Previously, they had said they wanted to take a bath with her since their clothes were going to get all wet anyway. I said, "No!" Can you imagine? It would be infection city.

When my husband came home, he asked my oldest son how it went helping me around the house. My son bent over holding his back and said, "Oh, my back hurts."
My husband said, "Why? What happened?"
My son said, "I had to lean over the laundry baskets to get my clothes, then I had to lean over to put them away, then I had to lean over to wash the dog. It was hard work."

Eye roll. Seriously?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting the kiddos to help out. I'm trying to teach TheBoy to do this. I'm a little late. I've done everything for everyone for so long. It's what I do as a caregiver so I didn't think how it affected my son until recently!

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
    Caring for My Veteran
    Be Positive in Life and Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I was smiling all the way reading that so thanks! And hey, keep at it and they may actually get better at it. ;) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete