Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A to Z Challenge: Z is for Zine




 
I checked out this book from the library called Whatcha Mean What’s a Zine? It just happened to be in the aisle I was in. It’s about creating your own mini magazine or comic book. I wish I was able to draw fast enough or be clever enough to create a comic book. The way they write about zines in the book is sort of like how blogs are, except you have a physical copy of it. You write about the things you like to write about, add drawings (or not), print it, staple it together, then hand them out or put them where people can pick them up or buy them like in a comic shop. It sounds so fun! You can be really creative with it.

With everything going electronic these days, I would think that zines would be a rarity. That would actually make them more desirable, don’t you think? Almost like getting a physical letter from a friend or relative.

I think it would be cool to make a palm sized zine with drawings that people could appreciate and save. The problem is finding people that would appreciate it. Maybe one day I’ll make a little comic book about my relatives and hand it out to them for Christmas or something. Starring them. Something they would think is funny like highlighting everyone’s weird quirks or personalities. That sounds time consuming, though. Or maybe little bios of each person to go with a caricature of them on each page. I have over 200 people in my family, so that might take me the rest of my life to complete. Lol

Since this is the last day of the challenge, maybe you have a great body of work that you could make into a zine of your own.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your last A to Z post! I would love it if someone made me a little zine with some funny stuff about me in it. Last year, for my birthday, my husband's grandmother drew me a picture. It's just a little picture about the size of a postcard that she did in pen. I treasure it. You're right, with so much stuff going electronic these days, those little pieces of paper with thoughts or drawings on them are even more special!
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete