Saturday, April 12, 2014

A to Z Challenge: K is for K-Dramas

 

I'm not Korean and neither is my friend, Ashley, but several years ago she kept telling me to watch this Korean drama called Boys Over Flowers. It took me a year before I decided to give it a chance. At first I thought it was a little brutal because the main girl was being bullied. Then it started to get romantic and I was hooked. Everywhere I would go, it seems that women were watching this particular K-drama. Even my cousin who doesn't watch those shows was watching it and stayed up until 5:30am watching the episodes back to back. It was funny when I heard about her doing that, but I ended up staying up until 4:30am to finish it myself.

I went to a Thai restaurant and the girl behind the counter was watching a K-drama. I told her that I had watched one. With a big smile on her face, she said, "Boys Over Flowers?" I said, "Yes!" It was the show to watch at the time.

Another popular one was Full House which I didn't like because the guy was a jerk and if I was the main girl I wouldn't forgive him. 

A couple of years ago, when I had a bad reaction to gluten and was on my back for 3 weeks in pain, I watched You Are Beautiful. It's about a girl who is about to be a nun when she's is called on to help her brother. She has a twin brother who is part of a popular boy band. I can't remember if he was ill or had a car accident, but he was not able to sing in the band. While he recovered she is asked to stand in for him and dress like a boy so no one knew he was out. She ends up falling in love with one of the guys in the band. It's a cute show that was pretty popular.

I recently saw Master's Sun. I really liked that one and it made me cry toward the end! It's about a girl who had an accident and since then sees ghosts. She is afraid of them and can't sleep because they follow her around asking for help. When she helps them, they move on to Heaven. She can't keep a job because they are always showing up and scaring her. Then she meets a rich guy who is arrogant, but when she touches him, she loses the ability to see the ghosts. She follows him and he thinks she's stalking him for his money. There is a good-looking security guard who moves into her apartment building and he falls in love with her. There are several love stories woven into this series. Everything wraps up very nicely in the end and you are left satisfied. It's a little scary at times, but it's also funny, cute, and romantic. Ashley recommended that one to me. I've learned to trust her recommendations a long time ago.

I want to see Pasta and Smiling Pasta at some point. I wish I had more time to watch them.

My husband's cousin got hooked on K-dramas a little over a year ago. She is obsessed. Her husband doesn't like to watch them, so she wakes up in the middle of the night and watches them until the early morning before she goes to work. She knows who all the actors are, buys the soundtracks to the shows, and already has a trip planned to go to Korea. Wow. In the first year that she started watching K-dramas, she watched Boys Over Flowers 12 times! *jaw drops* Mind you, the show has 25 episodes. Again, wow.

3 comments:

  1. I love the premise of Master's Sun. I would so love to watch that. Nothing Korean over here though. Thanks for the info!
    Lexa Cain’s Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several sites where you can watch K-dramas for free online. I watched Master's Sun on Drama Fever (www.dramafever.com). Netflix has a lot of K-dramas, too.

      Delete
  2. I would never have occurred to me to search for Korean drama's - I love how when you start something new you start to notice it everywhere...

    ReplyDelete