Sunday, March 16, 2014

Bookworm Me



I’ve always been a bookworm. When I was a kid, my mom used to take me to the library every week to check out books. I grew up reading books by Carolyn Haywood, Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, and Lois Duncan among others. Some of my favorite books were Harriet the Spy, How to Eat Fried Worms, and Ribsy.

I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I read The Undertaker’s Gone Bananas by Paul Zindel. It was the first book that really scared me. For the first time, I had to go to the living room to read it with the safety of my family around. I went on to read many of Paul Zindel’s books.

I also read Lois Duncan’s books when I was a teenager. They were scary and I loved them. The artwork on the covers was almost as scary.

I wanted to be like Harriet in Harriet the Spy. I wrote a lot in diaries back then, so I could relate. I also wanted to be Veronica Lodge in the Archie comics. And I wanted to be friends with Richie Rich and Mayda Money.

As a teenager, I liked all the books by Chaim Potok, especially the ones about Asher Lev since he was an artist like me. I’m not Jewish, but I liked learning about the Jewish culture.

I also liked S.E. Hinton’s books, one being The Outsiders. I think I read all of those books.

I thought The Catcher in the Rye was the funniest book I’d ever read.

For some reason, I read a lot of John Steinbeck’s books. Maybe they were given to me as assignments. I stopped reading The Grapes of Wrath somewhere around the middle of the book because I realized it was too depressing. All of Steinbeck’s books tended to be depressing, but it never dawned on me until The Grapes of Wrath. After that, I never read a Steinbeck book again.

I had a speed-reading class once in high school. At least, I think it was a speed-reading class. I remember the class sitting quietly reading novels. I was reading Where The Red Fern Grows and wanted to cry really badly because it was so sad. I didn’t want anyone to see me crying, so it was really hard to choke back those tears. I learned that it wasn’t a good idea to read sad books in public. Especially when you’re a teenager.

I’m still a bookworm as an adult, but now I read several books at the same time. The funny thing is, I still read young adult books and even middle grade books. I loved the 39 Clues series. I can’t get enough of those.

I need books I can get through fast because my life is fast paced. I even listen to my podcasts at a higher than normal speed.

Once in a while I’ll read an adult book like The Help or books by Dan Brown. Or non-fiction, especially if it’s a paranormal book. Last year, I read Dad is Fat by the comedian Jim Gaffigan, and Pretty in Plaid by Jen Lancaster, and Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern.

I read around 110 books last year and want to cool my jets this year so I can get more writing time in.

I started reading Insurgent, but the library wants it back in 2 days. So does a long line of people waiting to read it. I won’t be able to finish it by then. :o(  I’m in line to borrow it from another library, so I’ll get it back in say…a couple of months. In the meantime, I have a few hundred other books to read from my Goodreads queue.

On a side note, my friend is an extra in the upcoming movie, Divergent. She is in Abnegation (!) and got to wear a dress made for that faction. I hope I get to see her on screen. What’s exciting to me is not that she’s in a movie. It’s because it’s Divergent! I loved that book!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberly, I just found your blog on the NaBloPoMo list on BlogHer, and am enjoying catching up on your posts.Funny, I saw a commercial for Divergent earlier this afternoon while trapped in a dentist's chair, and was thinking how good it looks! I haven't read it yet, but I think I'll check the waiting list at my local library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sheri! I hope you like Divergent! The waiting list for that series is long. I just got Insurgent (the 2nd book in the series) from another library yesterday and I can't wait to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, trust me, the dress wasn't all it was cracked up to be! :) I do wish they'd let me keep it, though!

    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you will be able to come back for the next one!

    ReplyDelete