Monday, March 3, 2014

5 Interesting Things About Moi



NaBloPoMo Prompt: Tell us five interesting things about yourself.

1.     When I was a kid, my dad used to talk about ghosts with my relatives and their friends at parties. He would tell me to go to another room, but I wanted to stay to hear the stories. They would tell each other about their ghost encounters. Some of my relatives on my dad’s side of the family were able to see ghosts or had premonitions in dreams. As I grew up, I never really gave it much thought. People would tell me about their experiences seeing UFOs. I didn’t know what to think of it. I didn’t give the paranormal much thought until I read Shirley Maclaine’s Out on a Limb and Whitley Strieber’s Communion. I couldn’t wrap my head around the thought of aliens, out-of-body experiences, and Men in Black. It really blew my mind. Part of me didn’t want to believe it and the other part did believe it. Now, I’m a serious fanatic about the paranormal. 

2.     I was in the French Club at my university. My friend, Jennifer and I decided to move to France and work there right after college. I wanted to live in the south of France in Toulouse or Montpellier. Jennifer convinced me to live in Paris instead. She said, “If you live in the south, you’re going to have a country bumpkin accent. For me, it’s Paris or nothing.” So, I went to Paris. I lived in the suburbs of Paris for a year. I worked as an au pair while I lived there and attended French classes at the Sorbonne. So many things happened there and I’m sure my life would have been very different had I ended up in the south of France.

3.     I used to be in a Japanese taiko drum group. One day during a Japanese festival, I saw a group of taiko drummers perform. I was impressed by them. After their performance, I went up to them and asked them if they could teach me how to play. They agreed and I joined their group. 

4.     My grandfather was a twin and was adopted. He was from Japan and during that time, if a couple wasn’t able to have children, other couples, especially family members, would sometimes give them a child. We don’t know if he was given up by a family member or came from another family. Maybe he was Korean. Back in the day, Koreans were viewed as lower class citizens by the Japanese from what I heard. People say we have Korean features. My aunt and I think we might be Korean, although the rest of the family doesn’t think so. We may never know our true last name or our true bloodline.

5.     My family is VERY big. My dad comes from a family of 11 kids. He has five brothers and five sisters. My mom has three brothers and three sisters. Even my husband has a big family. His mom comes from a family of 11 kids, too. His dad comes from a family of about 5 kids. We had 200 people at our wedding. Only around 40 of them were friends. The rest were family, but not all of them were able to attend.

2 comments:

  1. I used to be in a Taiko group too when I lived in Japan - I loved it! There is a group called Kogakushu who are from Osaka and are amazing - google them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's so cool! It was a great experience for me, but I realized that I'm not much of a performer. I don't like being in the spotlight, but playing the taiko drums was fun.

      I looked that group up. They are really in sync with each other!

      Delete