Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Query Letters and Miss Snark

I was working on my query letter and looking for tips online when I found these two sites I thought were helpful. If you are done writing your book and are working on a synopsis to sent to literary agents, you might like the following sites.

Cynthea Liu has a popular web site called Writing for Children & Teens. Here a link from her site called "Anatomy of a Children's Book Synopsis."
http://www.writingforchildrenandteens.com/submissions/anatomy-of-a-synopsis/

From that site, I found a link for Miss Snark, the literary agent. Have you seen this site? She posts examples of synopses that people have sent her and she critiques them. And she's very snarky. You can see what people have done wrong and try not to make the same mistakes. Even though this site has been defunct since 2007 it is still useful.
Take a look: http://misssnark.blogspot.com/2005_12_25_archive.html

I just came back from the library with books on finding literary agents. I have a lot of homework to do. Did you know there are huge books that contain just thoughts and quotes? Wow. You learn something every day.

The artist in me made me pick up a book called Whatcha Mean, What's a Zine? The Art of Making Zines and Mini-Comics. I've always wanted to draw a comic strip of some sort.

My goal for this year is to put together a book of my drawings and paintings, then sell the book at boutiques and conventions. I might sell prints, too. My husband and I have friends who we can share the booth with. I just have to make it happen.

The angel on my shoulder pokes me and says, "Draw something. You know you want to." And I do. But the devil on my other shoulder says, "Ugh, it's such a chore. Do it later." So, I wait for later.

I'm still reading Body and Soul: A Ghost and the Goth novel. I love Stacey Kade.

And I'm still reading The 5th Wave. Rick Yancey has some good elements in that novel. I jump up and down and cheer when I come across some of those brilliant sentences. Is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment