Saturday, January 5, 2013

American Horror Story

I might sound creepy for saying this, but I am addicted to watching American Horror Story: Asylum. It wasn’t what I was expecting, that’s for sure.

 The pilot was off-putting and there weren’t any likeable characters, but I gave it a chance and I’m glad I did. I had almost decided to stop watching it as I was watching the second episode because it was more about crazy people than what I wanted to see which was the paranormal.

It was probably the last five minutes of the second episode that drew me into watching the third episode. I didn’t even recognize Denis O’Hare (Russell Edgington in True Blood!) until around episode 6. Damn, his character, Larry Harvey, is creepy in this show! What Larry did to Hayden to manipulate Ben at the end of that episode was a shocker. I had to see what Ben was going to do in the next episode, so that’s what got me to keep watching.
 
When Tate’s backstory started to unfold and his relationship with Violet became clearer, I was hooked.

Jessica Lange is and always has been a great actress from what I’ve seen. She’s really good in this show. I’m so glad her character isn’t my neighbor.

This show isn’t for everyone and probably isn’t for most people. Haha. Definitely not for the squeamish.

My tolerance for seeing people eat gross stuff is low. In fact, it pisses me off. That’s why I hated shows like Survivor and Fear Factor. I don’t want to see that gross crap. It annoyed me in this show, but the scene was fairly brief and I love the rest of the show, so okay I’ll keep watching.

I saw that Ryan Murphy was one of the creators of the show. His name was familiar so I looked him up on IMDB. I was surprised that he also created Glee. What?! Those shows are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but wow, the guy has got some talent to be able to write in both genres so well. Kudos to him.

Evan Peters does a great job of playing two sides of the coin. Scary psycho guy and sweet vulnerable boyfriend. Poor Violet. It’s a good thing they aired Tate’s backstory before the Sandy Hook school shooting or else they might’ve canned that episode. 

No comments:

Post a Comment