Friday, November 16, 2012

Web sites to read or post stories

I posted my first short story on www.wattpad.com today called La Claire Fontaine. It's a Young Adult Paranormal/Sci-Fi Romance based in France and inspired by the French children's song called A La Claire Fontaine. This song has been stuck in my head for years and I still sing it around the house from time to time. It's a song about love and loss, but my story is not quite that sad. Please go to http://www.wattpad.com/story/3091468-la-claire-fontaine to read it.

Anyway, Wattpad is an iPhone and iPod app where you can read stories written by unpublished authors. Some of those authors do eventually get published. You can also go to their web site and post your own stories. The site's members are mainly teen girls, but you can find writers of other genres there. I chose to post there because my writing is geared toward female teen readers.

If you are in a hurry and don't have time to read novels, you can read short stories at Five Stop Story. It is also and iPhone and iPod app. The theory behind that was that if you're riding on The Tube in London, you can read a complete story within 5 stops. So, you could finish a story on your way to and from work. You can submit your short stories to their contest every month. The maximum word count is 3,000 words.  http://www.fivestopstory.com/

Today I discovered another web site called www.writerscafe.org where you can read and write novels and short stories.

Some people like www.quizazz.com which is sort of like Wattpad, but less formal, less polished, and seems more like a bulletin board for teens. If that is your thing, then by all means check it out.

There is a web site called Short Stories at East of the Web http://www.short-stories.co.uk/ which I discovered yesterday. I read a story called The Time Sweepers that I thought was really good. If all the other stories are like this one I'll be very impressed. Just based off of that story, I would recommend that site if you want to read short stories. The only problem I saw was that I couldn't comment or "like" the story if not on Facebook or Google which I didn't want to do.




No comments:

Post a Comment