Sunday, November 18, 2012

Scott Westerfeld

Even though I'm not participating in National Novel Writing Month right now, I went to check my NNWM email inbox. I was delighted to find an email from Scott Westerfeld! I love his book series called Uglies. He sent out a pep talk to all the writers and I was just blown away.

Uglies is about a dystopian world where everyone receives plastic surgery to erase their flaws once they turn 16. They are then sent to another part of the city to live where ugly people are not allowed to visit. They are basically given whatever they desire there, have parties, extravagance, etc. Everyone is beautiful there. The "uglies" are the underprivileged people that don't get to see their family and friends (who have gone over to the other side) until they are of age to have the surgery. One girl sets about changing all that. She's like the Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games) of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment