Monday, November 21, 2011

NaNoWriMo Week 3

There is a week and a half left on NaNoWriMo and I'm happy to say I'm on schedule.  Very tired, though.  I was up until 4am this morning writing and my eyes are burning.  I get better ideas when no one is awake to interrupt me, but then I'm on a roll and can't stop until I have everything I want down.

The pep talks on NaNoWriMo are great.  They know exactly where I'm at and what I'm feeling.  It's nice to know I'm on the right track and not alone on this journey.

I started a new summary/outline about halfway through my novel because I started to go back and rewrite some sections of my novel which got me confused as to what happened when.  I created bullet points for each chapter so I could quickly refer back to see if events in my timeline made sense.  As I was typing out the key points, I thought of new things to add which I typed out in red so I could go back to the novel and write them in.  I also typed out things I wanted to refer back to later in the novel in red font.

I condensed 2 characters into one and had to go back and change certain elements in the story.  I guess this was supposed to be part of the editing process.  I have been going back and editing here and there when I'm not supposed to and I have to learn to break this habit soon or else I won't get the word count I'm aiming for.  I'm doing better at it as I go along.

The ctrl + F function in MS Word is a great tool to change the names of characters or even change words.  I was able to change the name Brett to Marco using this function and it only took a few seconds.  It saved a lot of time.  I could even bold them or color them if I wanted to, all in one swoop. 

I was in a slump the second week of NNWM, but now I'm back to loving my characters and looking forward to revisiting them every time I sit down to write.

I've been so busy writing that I haven't had time to read except for when I'm blow-drying my hair.  I have a lot of hair.  I'm still reading Stephen King's book On Writing and am loving it.  I never knew he was such a funny guy.  He presents tips on writing in an interesting way.

When it's noisy in the house and someone is watching TV with the images moving in the background behind my computer screen, I've learned to block it out a bit better than before.  Instead of packing up and moving to another room where the area is less comfortable, I learned that if I put my headphones on and listen to instrumental music, everything becomes a buzz and I am able to focus on what I'm writing.  It's not the ideal situation, but it's better than being distracted every few seconds.

So far, I'm glad to be taking on this novel challenge.  I am looking forward to finishing this one and starting on my next novel.









No comments:

Post a Comment